By: Angela Walschinski, Account Assistant, Leonard & Finco Public Relations, Inc.
Do you ever feel like you have too many online accounts and passwords to keep straight? Well, be assured that you’re not alone. If you have the right attitude and a simple system for managing all your personal social media accounts, you will be able to easily navigate the growing number of online social networks:
- First, you will want to have one e-mail address that you use for all of your social media accounts. This way all site registration and notifications can be kept separate from your personal messages.
- Next, as soon as you hear any buzz about a new site, register your name right away. Even if you do not have time to explore the network, you will be assured that your name is saved for you when and if you decide to actively use the account.
- Third, use the same username and picture on your social network accounts. With the increased popularity in social networks, you can make it easy for people to remember you by using the same name and the same picture on each site. It’s an easy way for you to build a consistent personal brand for yourself.
- Contrary to the above, as a safety feature, I recommend not using the same password on each of your social network accounts. This will save you a lot of hassle if one password is compromised.
- Lastly, to keep track of all of your social networking accounts, make a list with all of your social media logins and passwords and store this list in a secure location. You may even want to keep multiple copies of this list, one on your computer and also a printed hard copy.
Social networking sites are great ways for individuals to connect with others and to share information. With the above tips and the right attitude, you will be able to navigate numerous social networks without getting tangled in it.